About the Central Christian Church in New Albany
Central Christian Church of New Albany, Indiana, is one of nearly 4,000 congregations of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), which was the first Protestant denomination founded on American soil. The denomination grew out of two movements that sprang up almost simultaneously in the early 1800s. Thomas and Alexander Campbell, a Scottish Presbyterian father and son in Pennsylvania, rebelled against the dogmatic sectarianism that kept members of different denominations and even factions within the same denomination from taking the Lord's Supper together. Barton W. Stone in Kentucky, also a Presbyterian, objected to the use of creeds as tests of "rightness" of belief, feeling that such statements dealt with nonessentials and were a cause of disunity. The two movements merged in 1832 hoping to restore Christian unity by returning to simple New Testament practices. We are located at 1315 E. Spring St. in New Albany, IN, 47150.
Our Welcoming Statement
We proclaim this house of faith to be a place of grace and love for all as we strive to fulfill our mission of Sharing Christ, Caring for Others, Building a Community of Love.